October is a month of great activity in the garden. The earth has warmed and we experience the excitement change within the garden from one day to the next. Lots of planting and lots of growing as the wonder of spring unfolds before us.
• Plant seedlings of summer flowering annuals such as Alyssum, Marigolds, Petunias, Cosmos, Dahlia, Impatiens, Nasturtium, Phlox, Snapdragons and Zinnias
• Plant advanced flowering annuals as 6 or 8 pack seedlings or as Potted Colour for instant results.
• Plant up hanging baskets and pots – always use a premium quality potting mix. Premium Potting contains slow release fertiliser and water retention granules. This ensures strong healthy growth, abundant flowering and the need for less frequent watering through the summer.
• Feed roses with a good quality rose food.
• Spray roses with Spray roses with a spray such as Yates Rose Shield to control fungus diseases and pest damage.
• Prune back and fertilise spring flowering shrubs as flowering has finish.
• Liquid feed annuals and perennial weekly with a fertiliser such Thrive, Flourish or Bloom Booster.
• Control weeds. Everything is growing quickly including the weeds. Spray or remove weeds before seeding to save some future chores.
• Top up your garden beds with a good layer of mulch. The weather is starting to warm up, so water retention is key
• Now is a good time to install a home irrigation system before the warmer weather arrives.
• Treat lawns with to eradicate nay broadleaf weeds. Feed with a slow release lawn fertiliser.
• Re-pot house plants – pot into a size larger or divide and repot clumping plants. Always use fresh premium quality potting mix and liquid feed weekly.
|Asian Greens||Asian Greens||Basil||Asian Greens|
|Basil||Basil||French & Climbing Beans||French & Climbing Beans|
|Snake Beans||French & Climbing Beans||Basil||Beetroot|
*Including Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Majoram, and Oregano